Good Afternoon Jumoke Academy Family,
I hope that you and your families continue to be safe and well during this time. We are dedicated to sharing resources and information with our community as it becomes available to us. Below you will find a list of new resources and information about upcoming events in the Jumoke Academy District that will be relevant to a large portion of our families. Please see important updates below:
- As a reminder, the last official day of school for scholars at the Academy is on June 9, 2020. The last official day for faculty and staff will be June 11, 2020.
- A Virtual promotion exercise will be held for grade 8 scholars via Webex Events. The 8th-grade promotion exercise will be held on Monday, June 8, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. Additional information will be provided late next week to provide scholars and their families with the details on rehearsal times and the date for promotion caps and tassel pick up. Details on how to sign on and participate will also be shared. We are looking forward to recognizing this milestone for our scholars virtually and hope that our community will sign on to support our 8th-grade scholars who are moving on from their time in the hallways of Jumoke Academy! We want to wish them nothing but the best!
- Increased Access to Internet Coverage for Connecticut Residents
Attached is an updated compilation of the packages and offers from internet providers across the state. These providers are making discounts and special internet packages available to Connecticut residents for online access and home connectivity through the COVID 19 crisis.
- Chromebook Collection will occur on June 10, 11, and 12. Parents will receive details prior to these dates with designated times for drop off. All devices will be returned to the Hartford Conservatory, located at 875 Asylum Avenue. Please look for more details in the coming weeks and pay attention to your email and phone calls from the Academy for further details as these dates draw nearer.
- Congratulations to all scholars who participated in the first round of school-based spelling bees! A special congratulations go out to the following scholars who will go on to represent their schools on May 28th at our district-wide spelling bee: Anniyah Henry and Vaylin Hakizimana from TED, Rasjid Brown and Khalihah Brown from JAH-SMART, and Haden Walters and Simone Robinson from the Hartford Conservatory. Well done!
- District offices remain closed and staff continues to work remotely until further notice. Staff is available to respond during regular office hours via email. If you desire a return call, please include your phone number in an email message and someone will respond promptly.
- Virtual summer programming discussions are continuing with our collaborative partners who include Goodwin University, The Horizons Program at Ethel Walker, The Friendship Kids Camp, and OPMAD. Registration information for these programs will be shared as it becomes available. We are working toward getting this information finalized by the first week of June.
- As a reminder, Jumoke Academy is now enrolling for the 2020-2021 school year! Please email Ms. Sheila Osborn at Osborns@jumokeacademy.org and/or visit our website at jumokeacademy.org for more information or to complete an online application. Ms. Osborn can also be reached by phone at 860-505-0654.
- Continue to be aware of Corona Virus symptoms! Coughing, shortness of breath, fever, chest pains (in more severe cases). Please seek medical advice and care as needed. To help prevent the spread of the virus, remember that we should stay home to protect ourselves and others you may come in contact with. Washing your hands with hot soapy water often and refraining from touching your face should become a common practice. Remember to practice social distancing and NOT to assemble in groups of 5 or more. Please continue to monitor the advice coming from the CDC, DPH, and medical community as this situation evolves.
Thank you for your patience, commitment, and continued support for this district and our scholars! Continue to take care of yourselves and your families!
Dr. Troy A. Monroe
Executive Director, Jumoke Academy Charter School