UPDATES FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR &
DISTANCE LEARNING AT JUMOKE ACADEMY STARTS TOMORROW!
March 31, 2020
Jumoke Academy Families,
I hope that you and your family are well and safe during this time. As a follow up to the March 23, 2020 communication, I am sending this week’s message to provide ongoing updates from the district and our state leadership regarding the educational planning for scholars and management of the COVID19 crisis. Please see important updates below:
- Jumoke Academy campuses and district offices still remain in short-term shut down through at lease April 20, 2020. Like many districts, we are waiting on additional guidance from the Federal and State government before additional decisions are made regarding school closures beyond that date. Our Academic Department Leadership will be rolling out our Distance Learning Plan tomorrow April 1, 2020. SEE LINKS BELOW! A lot of strategic planning has gone into these preparations and we are excited to re-engage with our scholars! While supplemental resources will continue to be available, parents and/or caregivers should plan to be able to provide as much support to scholars as possible when accessing the online learning tools and resources necessary to support the distance learning.
- All information and communications from the Jumoke Academy district office can be found at jumokeacademy.org If you have not visited the site lately, please note that it has been updated with the district’s new live distance learning portal! There you will find all distance learning information and be able to access archived communications, District Learning FAQs by school, Google Drive, Seesaw, and Google Classroom all of which will be resources and tools you and your scholar will become quite familiar with beginning tomorrow.
- Parents should note that access to Digital Learning portals can be obtained through multiple devices! Those devices supporting access include the following hardware: video gaming systems with connectivity to the internet i.e. XBOX, IPADs, Tablets, iPhones, smartphones, computers, and Chromebooks. See this link to get instructions on how to access the internet on XboX.
- According to our state leadership, the next couple of weeks will be very critical for CT residents as the COVID19 pandemic is expected to peak. That said, the Academy has put a moratorium on all interactions between faculty, staff, parents, and students until further notice. Our priority at this point is to keep our entire community safe during this crisis. If there are any questions related to the distance learning initiative and the ability to access teachers and/or the information available on our website, please email your scholar’s principal who will respond to any concerns.
- As a reminder, the 2020-2021 Jumoke Academy Lottery for all available seats across grade levels will be held on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 5 p.m. The Lottery will be held live on Facebook. Please feel free to tune in.
- The Jumoke Academy Spring Break will be the week of April 13th – April 17th.
- Jumoke Academy District offices and leadership are all working remotely daily and available during working hours to respond to inquiries and other concerns. To access these offices, please send an email and include your phone number if you desire a return call. Thank you again in advance for your patience as we work through this protocol.
- As a reminder, all scholars and siblings in the same household up to age 18 are eligible to receive a free breakfast and lunch at designated sights located throughout the City of Hartford. Please note that a waiver has been received by the state to change the requirement of students having to be on location to receive the meals. This was done to ensure their safety during the distribution process. In addition, parents may also receive meals for each child in the home up to age 18 regardless of what school the student attends. As a reminder, the meal sight locations have been expanded to now include 16 locations across the city beginning at 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
On Mondays and Wednesdays, two days of meals will be provided. On Fridays, three days of meals will be provided. The full list of meal distribution locations is below. Meals will be distributed frozen with heating instructions in English and Spanish. They should be taken home and cooked or refrigerated quickly.
New Student Meal Distribution Sites
|1||Achievement First||305 Greenfield Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Classical Magnet School||85 Woodland Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Rawson School||260 Holcomb Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Weaver High School||415 Granby Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|2||Global Communications Academy||85 Edwards Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|SAND School||1750 Main Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Wish Museum School||350 Barbour Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|3||Hartford Public High School||55 Forest Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Kennelly School||180 White Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Moylan School—ELAMS||101 Catherine Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Parkville Community School||47 New Park Avenue||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Sanchez School||176 Babcock Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|4||Bellizzi School||215 South Street||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Betances Early Reading School||42 Charter Oak Avenue||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
|Burr School||400 Wethersfield Avenue||9:00 AM – 12:00 PM|
- Continue to be aware of Corona Virus symptoms! Coughing, shortness of breath, fever, chest pains (in more severe cases). Please seek medical advice and care as needed. To help prevent the spread of the virus, remember that we should stay home to protect ourselves and others you may come in contact with. Washing your hands with hot soapy water often and refraining from touching your face should become a common practice. Remember to practice social distancing and NOT to assemble in groups of 5 or more. Please continue to monitor the advice coming from the CDC, DPH, and medical community as this situation evolves.
Thank you for your patience, commitment, and continued support for this district and our scholars! Feel free to reach out via email with questions directed to your child’s building principal for building specific responses that may be needed. As a reminder, our district office is also available to respond as needed.
Continue to take care of yourselves and your families!